Post by Marius Crand »

Hello everyone.

I have decided to use spellforce as my scoolproject and wanted to ask you all;
1. What you love about the game
2. How you came to play it
3.What would you do if you where in EO
4. How would you convince someone to play this Game
5. In what language do you play it.

These would help me immensly and if possible to moove my teacher to play too.
If I can do it properly.
NeoX
Administrator

Re: For my scoolproject

Post by NeoX »

[MODDERATION] - moved over to the english section of the forum, was posted in the german section - [MODDERATION]
SpellForce 2 - Master of War | SpellForce - Wiki & Info Hub
Image Image
"SpellForce 2 - Master of War" is the legendary Card-Game of the SpellForce 2 Collectors Edition of 2006, now finally for PC and Android! Play against the NPC, another Player or Online. Over 100 different Cards out of 7 factions and more than 10 powerfull spells to support them. Many hours of tactical turn based gameplay await you.
http://www.sf2-mow.keepfree.de/
- - -
"SpellForce - Fan Hub & Wiki" (for Android devices) is the official SpellForce fan hub app with wiki and forum integration made by the Fan Community. Get updated with the latest SpellForce news all around the game and its community. Look up knowlege in the wiki about lore and game guides. Exchange yourself with others on the fan forum. Made by the Community for the Community.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.it_huskys.spellforce_hub_wiki
Bapt890

Post by Bapt890 »

Hello !
  • What I like the most about SpellForce is the world building. There are common fantasy thingies like orcs, trolls etc but brung in an unique way in the world.
    For me, a good SpellForce game is one with a fascinating story and juicy bits of info on the world.
  • At one point when I was still a child, my father worked in a game store. The boss gave him SpellForce 2: Shadow Wars telling him "Your son [me] will like it".
    Indeed, I quickly installed the game and with my sister we spent a lot of time on it.

The French narrator voice of the tutorial and the song Plain in Oblivion are the first things that struck me when starting the game. Hearing one of them will instantly remind me of that sweet, first time.
  • It's quite hard for me to answer, as it depends on who I would be, where and when. I would need further details to answer this question.
  • I kinda suck at persuading people. I would try to tell them about what I like the most : the world building, the story and also the musics. I would tell them to play the games in the release date order until Dragon Storm, then CoE.
  • I play in French as it is my main language. I sometime play DotP to test mods, so I also play in English (DotP doesnt support French for some reason).
0z2y

Post by 0z2y »

Marius Crand wrote: Sat 13. Jan 2024, 14:13 <snip>

<snip>
  1. The epic adventures, the rich lore, the people you meet and their personal and sometimes, tragic stories like Amra and Lea or a Guardian God and a Dryad... the NPCs like Flink, Alya, Urias, and so many more.
    Then we have the gameplay, the 3rd person view, the music, the Runes, the locations and how they used the Portal network into the world story to explain how we move from one location to another...
    The different races and creatures like the Wolflings, Elementals, Orcs, Trolls, Elves, Dwarves, Beastmen, HUmans, Dragons, and of course the Shaikan...
    In SpellForce 2, I like how they introduce the Shaikan and change from the Rune system to a companion one, including how some NPCs become temporary companions. Not to mention, how this changes between SF1 and 2 are well explained into the story and lore itself increasing the world building and lore connections, creating a rich and magical world.
  2. Back in the day, about 20-something years ago when the internet was starting to become what it is today, there was a lot of PC and Gaming magazines that often gave away some CDs, later DVDs of content including complete games. I used to buy a lot of them, and throw the DVDs into a box and forget about it.
    Then one day I had some guests at home and told them to browse the box and play whatever they like. That's how I got to know Warlords Battlecry. I had in that box the first 2 games on that serie.
    WBC is a mix of RTS with a sprinkle of RPG, similar to SpellForce. So when I finished playing WBC, I went looking into the box for some game similar and what you know? I also had a copy of The Order of Dawn in there, and that was my first contact with the world of Eo.
    IMG_20231015_171117.jpg
    The first thing that got me hooked was the 3rd person view, then the story with its surprises and of course, the ending with that revelation.

Soon, I went looking for the next games and bought the Platinium version in spanish. At the time, I barely understand the language but what the heck? It was close enough to my own language to play the game. 😄

With the rising of the Internet, I joined the old official :jowood: forum and the birth of sites/platforms like GoG and Steam, I eventually joined them also.
  3. Now that's an interesting question... I think I would like to see as much as possible of the world of Eo... but that also would depend of when I would be on Eo.
    The possibilities are endless, let's say I would end up on Eo on the time of the Shapers, before the light races appear?
    Or on the time of the Hybernian Empire? Or before the rise of the Circle?
    I would want to see all, so probably would become a traveler or someone like Flink. 😏
  4. I would tell them most of the above and sugest them to begin on TOoD, BoW, SotP, SW, DS, CoE... and skip all the rest on the franchise at this point in time.
    Still hopeful for someone who cares and loves the IP to pick it up, and gives us a proper game to end the SpellForce 2 trilogy. 🙏
  5. I begun playing in English, later moved to Spanish and now I play in German VA with English subtitles. Although I think the English version to have decent VA, it's not as good as the Spanish but the best VA to play SpellForce, is definitely the German one. 🙂
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NeoX
Administrator

Post by NeoX »

Marius Crand wrote: Sat 13. Jan 2024, 14:13 Hello everyone.

Then we are very happy to help 😊
Marius Crand wrote: Sat 13. Jan 2024, 14:13 1. What you love about the game
SpellForce is simply one of a kind. No other game out there does offer such a combination of game mechanics and gameplay like you can have here. Only here you can rise your own army, stand in the middle of them and directly feel like you are commanding your troops and not just pushing ants from one side of the map to another like in other RTS game with some RPG things spread in.
SpellForce offers a rich, deep and alive universe with many factions, history and events that can not be found anywhere else. A classical story of light vs dark with twists and turns in between without ever getting bland or trying to tell a political story. The world design and their presentation just lets you sink in and have a breath.
No other game ever gave this feeling of sinking in and being an actual part of this world. Being able to actualy walk the world in 3rd person view and directly interacting with the people there, your troops and bases is just what makes you want to stay with this game. The events and adventures you experience here fit the worlds telling and still manages to surprise and entertain alike. SpellForce is not only a RPG-RTS mix, its an epic RPG journey with the best companion level you can ever ask for in form of a RTS-Gameplay feature.

The gamemodes also are something unique that are close to perfection for an a-sync coop endless gamemode. The free game mdoe allows everyone to play with their very own hero groupt with everyones own experience and progress but still in coop with each other on maps and quests that can endlessly entertain. Not to mention the near unlimited expansion options thats to community mods and level editor.

If you have no perfect map for you and your friends, you can simply create it yourself. Also a level of freedome and exploration with gameplay value that is simply unique.
Marius Crand wrote: Sat 13. Jan 2024, 14:13 2. How you came to play it
I watched a trailer that was included in the PC games magazine (Computer Bild Spiele) and the article that came with it.
Trailer:
After seeing that, I just needed to have that game, and got it right after school at release.
Marius Crand wrote: Sat 13. Jan 2024, 14:13 3.What would you do if you where in EO
That’s quite an impossible question, since would need to ask, when I would been thrown in, in the timeline and events ^^
Reference: https://www.spellforce.info/tab_thegame ... N#timeline
Marius Crand wrote: Sat 13. Jan 2024, 14:13 4. How would you convince someone to play this Game
That would depend a lot on what this one would enjoy when it comes to gameplay and games. I guess I would show him some gameplay and highlights of my own gameplay and then offer him to try the game for just one mission where he would experience the things he likes the most.
Marius Crand wrote: Sat 13. Jan 2024, 14:13 5. In what language do you play it.
German, the same language as the developers and the voice acters that were in direct contact with them. You can clearly tell when someone got instructions, or just text to read out.
Marius Crand wrote: Sat 13. Jan 2024, 14:13 These would help me immensly and if possible to moove my teacher to play too.
If I can do it properly.
I wish you good luck! If he needs help, the community and its forum is always there 😊

Greetings: NeoX
SpellForce 2 - Master of War | SpellForce - Wiki & Info Hub
Image Image
"SpellForce 2 - Master of War" is the legendary Card-Game of the SpellForce 2 Collectors Edition of 2006, now finally for PC and Android! Play against the NPC, another Player or Online. Over 100 different Cards out of 7 factions and more than 10 powerfull spells to support them. Many hours of tactical turn based gameplay await you.
http://www.sf2-mow.keepfree.de/
- - -
"SpellForce - Fan Hub & Wiki" (for Android devices) is the official SpellForce fan hub app with wiki and forum integration made by the Fan Community. Get updated with the latest SpellForce news all around the game and its community. Look up knowlege in the wiki about lore and game guides. Exchange yourself with others on the fan forum. Made by the Community for the Community.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.it_huskys.spellforce_hub_wiki
Wormic

Post by Wormic »

Nice to see that you're interested in the series and that you're using it as inspiration for your project!

1.For me personally, the main thing that impressed me about the series was the world it was set it - that's still the main reason I play today.
The original games by phenomic and the latest Conquest of Eo are just set in such an interesting world dynamic that's interesting to explore multiple no matter how many times I play through it.

2. I first came to play it back in early 2004 when my cousin bought the game. I visited him once and he showed it to me - was an interesting experience considering that it was in German and I didn't know the language back at the time, but the atmosphere of the games made them interesting enough for me to play regardless, and it ended up being one of the main contributors to me learning the language down the line.

3. Probably get killed by some monster :saufen: Though if I could choose, I'd like to be a dwarf, they are one of my favourite races. Maybe as a miner or something.

4. It's a bit harder with SF1 since it's so old, but I always suggest it when it's on sale since you can get it for cheap - and most people tend to like it once they give it a fair shot. Even with older graphics, tho they look ok today imo, the atmosphere, music and worldbuild make it interesting enough.

5. I play the games in German, always have. Tried doing it in English, but the dub in SF1 is pretty bad and I genuenly feel like the German dub makes it a lot more atmospheric.
V651

Post by V651 »

Marius Crand wrote: Sat 13. Jan 2024, 14:13 Hello everyone.

These would help me immensly and if possible to moove my teacher to play too.
If I can do it properly.

1) I love the worldbuilding of the game overall, as well as the persistent world it offers. The worldbuilding and gameplay are very well tied up together, and the lore throughout the expansions and the sequel adds coherent new elements that are well explained within the context of the world. The music, art direction, gameplay mechanics, stories, everything is absolutely perfect. The vibe is definitely strong. What I also absolutely loved was how the lore and worldbuilding were explained very well on the SF websites, introducing the Races, Units, Titans, Monsters & Enemies, Places, Magic & Combat, Heroes, as well as the introductory short stories to go along with them, and consolidating the world. Be it how the characters one would meet in the game having been first introduced in the short stories, to how even some of the monsters like the Wolflings having been first established in the short stories and lore before getting introduced in the game. The Free Game Modes also offer a great sandbox co-op experience in the same vein as in the game's MMO roots, as well as offering two mini campaigns with the lore and story filling the gaps between the games and serving as a catalyst to the events to come.

2) I used to watch my dad playing the game, that's how I came into contact with this great game, thus this game holds a special place in my heart above anything else, more of a spiritual connection if you will.

3) I'd be a travelling bard like Nightsong or Tana Songblade I guess, but realistically ending up a merchant like Valdis probably. xd

4) I'd tell the lore of SF and show them the game, and the trailers, demos and whatnot. I've already convinced some of my friends before.

5) English and German, the latter being the better version.
Dum inter homines sumus, colamus humanitatem.
Shiellen

Post by Shiellen »

I came to play it by accident.
There was a popular gaming magazine while I was in high school (CD Action), they used to include with every issue a CD with demos of games, patches to games, and other promotional stuff. I used to buy it from time to time with my pocket money. In one issue instead of normal CD with bunch of random stuff was SpellForce Order of Down in a cardboard envelope in size DVD cases. I had to smuggle it home as my parents did not allow me to play video games because I was supposed to only study.

I immediately felt in love with the game. At that time I mostly played RTS and FPS games. The only RPG game I played was Diablo.
The concept of the game was exotic and revolutionary to me. Not only it was extremely well made RTS, the maps were not flat!!! like in most games at that time (Age of Empires, C&C, Starcraft ...), on top of that you could create your own "general" to lead your armies, and there was actual story in the game instead list of maps to conquer with some text in between.
But the thing that I loved the most was third person view.
It was amazing to lead battles while being all the time in third person view. I felt as if I really was there. It was better than today's VR. I rarely changed to isometric. Mostly while placing buildings or organizing formations.

The one included in magazine was Localized to Polish language, both text and voice and it was only available language. If I remember correctly.
Few years later I bought in game store SpellForce Universe. It had multiple Language options and I chose to play in English.
And it stayed like that.

It depends In which game/period.
I would most likely prefer to be a Rune Warrior. No ageing and easy resurrection are to good to pass.
First objective would be to train and get stronger so that nobody would steal my rune.
I would do my best to get into Elf community to be friends with them, as it is my favourite race.

Than when I'm strong enough to feel safe, I would embark on sight seeing journey to see all the exotic locations the Eo has to offer.
While at that I would probably try to help people along the way. Like a travelling hero/vigilante.

I would probably try to stay out of politics of the world as it could draw to much attention to myself.

I have no idea. So far I tried to convince few of my IRL friends but without a success. So I have no idea what would be successful strategy.
I might try to convince them to play co-op campaign first but that rules out SF1
:/

Hope that helps.

Return to “Off Topic”