Spellforce 2 Anniversary Edition - Windows 11 Compatibility

Discuss about all topics which belong to SpellForce 2

Moderator: Forum_Manager

JohnLegion

Spellforce 2 Anniversary Edition - Windows 11 Compatibility

Post by JohnLegion »

Ever since updating to Windows 11 I've been experiencing a consistent stuttering issue which wouldn't be a hugh issue, but it cancels out the selection box when selecti my armies!

Has anyone else come across this issue?

I've tried running in all of the compatibility modes Windows offers and I've made sure the GPU being used is my card rather than the onboard.
NeoX
Administrator

Re: Spellforce 2 Anniversary Edition - Windows 11 Compatibility

Post by NeoX »

hi,
JohnLegion wrote: Mon 5. Feb 2024, 16:20 Ever since updating to Windows 11 I've been experiencing a consistent stuttering issue which wouldn't be a hugh issue, but it cancels out the selection box when selecti my armies!

Has anyone else come across this issue?

I've tried running in all of the compatibility modes Windows offers and I've made sure the GPU being used is my card rather than the onboard.
Have you tried to apply the Hardware patch?
viewtopic.php?t=72

Also whats your GPU? If its Nvidia then some issues are known to be caused by the driver.
Then some "features" need to be disabled.

Also i highly recommend to watch this:

Greetings: NeoX
SpellForce 2 - Master of War | SpellForce - Wiki & Info Hub
Image Image
"SpellForce 2 - Master of War" is the legendary Card-Game of the SpellForce 2 Collectors Edition of 2006, now finally for PC and Android! Play against the NPC, another Player or Online. Over 100 different Cards out of 7 factions and more than 10 powerfull spells to support them. Many hours of tactical turn based gameplay await you.
http://www.sf2-mow.keepfree.de/
- - -
"SpellForce - Fan Hub & Wiki" (for Android devices) is the official SpellForce fan hub app with wiki and forum integration made by the Fan Community. Get updated with the latest SpellForce news all around the game and its community. Look up knowlege in the wiki about lore and game guides. Exchange yourself with others on the fan forum. Made by the Community for the Community.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.it_huskys.spellforce_hub_wiki
JohnLegion

Post by JohnLegion »

I have tried applying the Hardware patch, but it unfortunately had no effect on the issue!

Both of my machines I'd tried it on have NVidia GPUs, I've tried disabling the NVidia LS Controller on advice from somebody on the Discord.

I'm wondering if it's an effect of Windows 11 being trash for old games!
NeoX
Administrator

Post by NeoX »

hi,
JohnLegion wrote: Tue 6. Feb 2024, 14:02 I have tried applying the Hardware patch, but it unfortunately had no effect on the issue!

Both of my machines I'd tried it on have NVidia GPUs, I've tried disabling the NVidia LS Controller on advice from somebody on the Discord.

I'm wondering if it's an effect of Windows 11 being trash for old games!
What version of SF2 are you using/playing right now? Also whats your exact hardware data? Maybe we can solve it with a driver rollback.

Image Image
"SpellForce 2 - Master of War" is the legendary Card-Game of the SpellForce 2 Collectors Edition of 2006, now finally for PC and Android! Play against the NPC, another Player or Online. Over 100 different Cards out of 7 factions and more than 10 powerfull spells to support them. Many hours of tactical turn based gameplay await you.
- - -
"SpellForce - Fan Hub & Wiki" (for Android devices) is the official SpellForce fan hub app with wiki and forum integration made by the Fan Community. Get updated with the latest SpellForce news all around the game and its community. Look up knowlege in the wiki about lore and game guides. Exchange yourself with others on the fan forum. Made by the Community for the Community.
JohnLegion

Post by JohnLegion »

I'm running 'Spellforce 2 Anniversary with the Hardware Patch 1.4 applied.

Following somebody's advice from the Steam Forums I'd set the FPS to 59 frame at max and it helped the problem quite a bit, but it's still there.

My specs are:

Processor - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz
Installed RAM - 16.0 GB
GPU - NVidia 2080ti
System type - 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

I'd like to avoid running with Driver Rollback's if possible!
NeoX
Administrator

Post by NeoX »

hi,
JohnLegion wrote: Tue 6. Feb 2024, 20:25 I'm running 'Spellforce 2 Anniversary with the Hardware Patch 1.4 applied.

Following somebody's advice from the Steam Forums I'd set the FPS to 59 frame at max and it helped the problem quite a bit, but it's still there.
Ironicly most people tell me it runs better for them with unlocked vsync. Do you depend on the anniversary edition? If not, i highly recommend to roll it back to the most stable steam version you can get SF2-Gold.

JohnLegion wrote: Tue 6. Feb 2024, 20:25 My specs are:

Processor - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz
Installed RAM - 16.0 GB
GPU - NVidia 2080ti
System type - 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

I'd like to avoid running with Driver Rollback's if possible!
Yeah that sadly fits the sheme.

Ok i found something that is confirmed to be the last well working version for Nvidia and that is NVidia Studio Driver 457.30 of 17th of November 2020. Any driver after that has reports with such issues.

That seems to be your best options.

Image Image
- - -
JohnLegion

Post by JohnLegion »

I was worried about that!

Would you happen to know if such an issue occurs with AMD GPUs?
NeoX
Administrator

Post by NeoX »

hi,
JohnLegion wrote: Tue 6. Feb 2024, 21:39 I was worried about that!

Would you happen to know if such an issue occurs with AMD GPUs?
Since i use a full AMD system as my main system, i can assure you that SF2 (all version of it) perform well on that hardware. The driver version i use right now is 23.8.2 for vulcan-api reasons. But that is not important for SF2.

Image Image
- - -
JohnLegion

Post by JohnLegion »

You're not going to believe this!

The issue I've been having wasn't with NVidia or Windows 11, it was the Polling Rate on my mouse..

I had a friend help me out with researching the issue in question, and it turns out my Polling Rate was set to 8000x which was never a thing when Spellforce 2 was released.

We'd turned it down to 500x and the stuttering is gone!

Thank you very much for your time!
NeoX
Administrator

Post by NeoX »

hu,
JohnLegion wrote: Wed 7. Feb 2024, 11:36 You're not going to believe this!

The issue I've been having wasn't with NVidia or Windows 11, it was the Polling Rate on my mouse..

I had a friend help me out with researching the issue in question, and it turns out my Polling Rate was set to 8000x which was never a thing when Spellforce 2 was released.

We'd turned it down to 500x and the stuttering is gone!

Thank you very much for your time!
Wow thats unexpected! I wonder if its truly hardware related or a combination of settings and driver too. Anyway thanks for sharing this info with us! this may help a lot of players in the future!

Image Image
- - -

Return to “SpellForce 2 - General Discussion”