SpellForce Platinum: Error - illegal char AND/OR ACCESS_VIOLATION

Technical support around SpellForce

Moderator: Forum_Manager

fraphi

SpellForce Platinum: Error - illegal char AND/OR ACCESS_VIOLATION

Post by fraphi »

Dear SpellForce friends

Below follows a shortened GOG-post of mine about a nasty crash I try to get rid of since last december. It's separated into
1) list the errors
2) some details when the crash occurs and information about my systems
3) lastly troubleshooting checklist.

NEOX was so kind to help me out with a german version of the game.
I will update this thread to let you know if it worked.

Hope, I placed this in the correct section of this forum. Otherwise, please let me know.

1)------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spellforce Critical Error
G:\Spellforce\release\candidate\code\Utl\UtlText.cpp(80) : error:
Assertment failed!
Message: CUtlFont::GetCharacterWidth: illegal char (Char: 8217)

If I press "cancel" it repeats a similar message.
Only if I press "ignore" it's followed by:

Code: EXEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
Info: The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access.
Flags: 0x00000000 Addr: 0x6f6cf7b2
eax: 0x00000001 ebx: 0x128fbb40 ecx: 0x0858fec4 edx: 0x00000000
ebp: 0x0019f578 edi: 0x6f6d0ba0 esp: 0x0019f550 eip: 0x6f6cf7b2 esi: 0x08421s20
segc: 0x0023 segd: 0x002b sege: 0x002b segf: 0x0053 segg: 0x002b segs: 0x002b

2)------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, it's unmodded out of the box from GOG.
Crashes mostly on the second map then a goblin drops dead and I surely cannot pass the third map because of that. I'm troubleshooting with GOG since december 2022. Both on a DeskopPC - Windows 10 Home (1909) - and an older laptop - Windows 10 Prof. (21H2).
Desktop uses: i3 9100f with a Nvidia gtx 1650 super (gainward pegasus)
Laptop is a Lenovo t440p from around 2013 with i5 and Nvidia gt 730m

3)------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

First I followed all instructions in the support section and even tried alternate Nvidia Drivers.

What I did with GOG-Support as far (unsuccsessfully):

1) GOG GALAXY repair
2) Install the June 2010 DirectX runtime package
3) If you are using Nahimic, please could you disable this audio software or uninstall it completely as it has proven to be problematic with many games
4) "Disable full screen optimization" and "Run as administrator"
5) Close all software that has an overlay
6) Reinstalled the game AND added it to your anti-virus/firewall software's exception/trusted list.
7) Reinstalled both Visual C++ 2019 Redistributable Packages:
8) DirectPlay activated.
9) Updated graphics drivers.
10) Windowed mode (gog-galaxy and direct exe config tried)
11) Applying nexus widescreen patch to the game. (spellforceplatinumedition/mods/8)
12) Install and launch the game in “clean boot mode”
13) Install the game to a short path.
14) DEP (Data Execution Prevention) using default setting.
15) Create a new temporary Windows administrator account.
16) Editing the config file for the game which can be found in the game's installation folder:
GOG-forumpost: spellforce_platinum_crashes_when_clicking_on_options_button
17) Applying wrapper DXVK to the game.
18) Create a new Powerplan for the game: Make sure to set the maximum and minimum process state to 50%.
-----------------------------------------

Further troubleshooting:
- Tried the german patch from PoooMukkel linked compiware.de at pcgamingwiki.com: Same errors.
NeoX
Administrator

Re: SpellForce Platinum: Error - illegal char AND/OR ACCESS_VIOLATION

Post by NeoX »

fraphi wrote: Mon 6. Mar 2023, 10:50 Dear SpellForce friends

Below follows a shortened GOG-post of mine about a nasty crash I try to get rid of since last december. It's separated into
1) list the errors
2) some details when the crash occurs and information about my systems
3) lastly troubleshooting checklist.

NEOX was so kind to help me out with a german version of the game.
I will update this thread to let you know if it worked.

Hope, I placed this in the correct section of this forum. Otherwise, please let me know.

1)------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spellforce Critical Error
G:\Spellforce\release\candidate\code\Utl\UtlText.cpp(80) : error:
Assertment failed!
Message: CUtlFont::GetCharacterWidth: illegal char (Char: 8217)

If I press "cancel" it repeats a similar message.
Only if I press "ignore" it's followed by:

Code: EXEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
Info: The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access.
Flags: 0x00000000 Addr: 0x6f6cf7b2
eax: 0x00000001 ebx: 0x128fbb40 ecx: 0x0858fec4 edx: 0x00000000
ebp: 0x0019f578 edi: 0x6f6d0ba0 esp: 0x0019f550 eip: 0x6f6cf7b2 esi: 0x08421s20
segc: 0x0023 segd: 0x002b sege: 0x002b segf: 0x0053 segg: 0x002b segs: 0x002b

2)------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, it's unmodded out of the box from GOG.
Crashes mostly on the second map then a goblin drops dead and I surely cannot pass the third map because of that. I'm troubleshooting with GOG since december 2022. Both on a DeskopPC - Windows 10 Home (1909) - and an older laptop - Windows 10 Prof. (21H2).
Desktop uses: i3 9100f with a Nvidia gtx 1650 super (gainward pegasus)
Laptop is a Lenovo t440p from around 2013 with i5 and Nvidia gt 730m

3)------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

First I followed all instructions in the support section and even tried alternate Nvidia Drivers.

What I did with GOG-Support as far (unsuccsessfully):

1) GOG GALAXY repair
2) Install the June 2010 DirectX runtime package
3) If you are using Nahimic, please could you disable this audio software or uninstall it completely as it has proven to be problematic with many games
4) "Disable full screen optimization" and "Run as administrator"
5) Close all software that has an overlay
6) Reinstalled the game AND added it to your anti-virus/firewall software's exception/trusted list.
7) Reinstalled both Visual C++ 2019 Redistributable Packages:
8) DirectPlay activated.
9) Updated graphics drivers.
10) Windowed mode (gog-galaxy and direct exe config tried)
11) Applying nexus widescreen patch to the game. (spellforceplatinumedition/mods/8)
12) Install and launch the game in “clean boot mode”
13) Install the game to a short path.
14) DEP (Data Execution Prevention) using default setting.
15) Create a new temporary Windows administrator account.
16) Editing the config file for the game which can be found in the game's installation folder:
GOG-forumpost: spellforce_platinum_crashes_when_clicking_on_options_button
17) Applying wrapper DXVK to the game.
18) Create a new Powerplan for the game: Make sure to set the maximum and minimum process state to 50%.

Further troubleshooting:
- Tried the german patch from PoooMukkel linked compiware.de at pcgamingwiki.com: Same errors.
You got a PM :-)
SpellForce 2 - Master of War | SpellForce - Wiki & Info Hub
Image Image
"SpellForce 2 - Master of War" is the legendary Card-Game of the SpellForce 2 Collectors Edition of 2006, now finally for PC and Android! Play against the NPC, another Player or Online. Over 100 different Cards out of 7 factions and more than 10 powerfull spells to support them. Many hours of tactical turn based gameplay await you.
http://www.sf2-mow.keepfree.de/
- - -
"SpellForce - Fan Hub & Wiki" (for Android devices) is the official SpellForce fan hub app with wiki and forum integration made by the Fan Community. Get updated with the latest SpellForce news all around the game and its community. Look up knowlege in the wiki about lore and game guides. Exchange yourself with others on the fan forum. Made by the Community for the Community.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.it_huskys.spellforce_hub_wiki
fraphi

Post by fraphi »

Hi NeoX
Dankeschön! Habs runtergeladen. Now that I'm prepared, I'll just have to wait for next weekend to see what's what ;)
Will keep you posted.
NeoX
Administrator

Post by NeoX »

fraphi wrote: Mon 6. Mar 2023, 16:51 Hi NeoX
Dankeschön! Habs runtergeladen. Now that I'm prepared, I'll just have to wait for next weekend to see what's what ;)
Will keep you posted.
Thanks for the feedback! Keep us updated!
Oh and please start a new savegame. Your old ones could be corrupted thanks to your "solution journey".
Image Image
"SpellForce 2 - Master of War" is the legendary Card-Game of the SpellForce 2 Collectors Edition of 2006, now finally for PC and Android! Play against the NPC, another Player or Online. Over 100 different Cards out of 7 factions and more than 10 powerfull spells to support them. Many hours of tactical turn based gameplay await you.
- - -
"SpellForce - Fan Hub & Wiki" (for Android devices) is the official SpellForce fan hub app with wiki and forum integration made by the Fan Community. Get updated with the latest SpellForce news all around the game and its community. Look up knowlege in the wiki about lore and game guides. Exchange yourself with others on the fan forum. Made by the Community for the Community.
NeoX
Administrator

Post by NeoX »

fraphi wrote: Mon 6. Mar 2023, 16:51 Hi NeoX
Will keep you posted.
Hi,

so how is it going?

Greetings: NeoX
Image Image
- - -
fraphi

Post by fraphi »

Hi NeoX

Thanks for asking and again for helping out! I had some good hopes again ;)

I first tried with the original version on the iso. Didn't install the optional dx9 through iso-installer. As to be expected and mentioned in different other post (GOG as well): I got the display resolution error (tried copying over the existing config.lua from the other computer, even edited it) and after that moved on to your HD Mod you linked me in the PM.

Installed for german users plus highres fonts + your instructions: new game, run as admin.

It really crashed just the same - same error (first one listed above) after killing a goblin on the second map on the path to the northern portal. Because of fullscreen focus of the frozen game - so that I couldn't keep other windows in front - I wasn't able to verify the error "after pressing ignore".

Maybe this game just does not want to be...

I'm still considering further ideas but then I spent quite some time on this and will eventually move on.
Best wishes
fraphi
NeoX
Administrator

Post by NeoX »

fraphi wrote: Mon 13. Mar 2023, 11:37 Hi NeoX

Thanks for asking and again for helping out! I had some good hopes again ;)

I first tried with the original version on the iso. Didn't install the optional dx9 through iso-installer. As to be expected and mentioned in different other post (GOG as well): I got the display resolution error (tried copying over the existing config.lua from the other computer, even edited it) and after that moved on to your HD Mod you linked me in the PM.

Installed for german users plus highres fonts + your instructions: new game, run as admin.

It really crashed just the same - same error (first one listed above) after killing a goblin on the second map on the path to the northern portal. Because of fullscreen focus of the frozen game - so that I couldn't keep other windows in front - I wasn't able to verify the error "after pressing ignore".

Maybe this game just does not want to be...

I'm still considering further ideas but then I spent quite some time on this and will eventually move on.
Best wishes
fraphi
Hi,

DO NOT USE ANY OTHER MODS OR OLD GAME FILES/SETTINGS

please follow these steps:

1. delete your current config AND old Savegames. The issue is saved in there. (best delete the whole spellforce folder in your "My Documents" folder)
2. install the ISO setup direct as an admin
3. install the HR-Mod also directly as admin (right click -> run as administrator)
4. Start a complete new playtrough ans savegame.

This should solve it.

Image Image
- - -
fraphi

Post by fraphi »

While I'm rather progressing on a weekly basis, you seem more the minutes type. Deeply impressed :)

Well what you suggest is more or less exactly what I did:
1) Deinstalled Spellforce
2) Deleted Documents folder
3) Shutdown and restart of Windows

4) Installed ISO to C:/GOG Games
5) Shutdown and restart of Windows
--> tried to launch/tried to launch with copied config.lua -> deleted lua file in Game directory
6) Installed HDmod
7) Run with default settings (nothing changed: mostly all settings are maxed)
8) Started new game (had to, and always did while testing)

Do you think there is a file in Documents after the first failed launches that interfered afterwards? crashdump or log?

Sunny greetings
NeoX
Administrator

Post by NeoX »

fraphi wrote: Mon 13. Mar 2023, 13:12 While I'm rather progressing on a weekly basis, you seem more the minutes type. Deeply impressed :)

Well what you suggest is more or less exactly what I did:
1) Deinstalled Spellforce
2) Deleted Documents folder
3) Shutdown and restart of Windows

4) Installed ISO to C:/GOG Games
5) Shutdown and restart of Windows
--> tried to launch/tried to launch with copied config.lua -> deleted lua file in Game directory
6) Installed HDmod
7) Run with default settings (nothing changed: mostly all settings are maxed)
8) Started new game (had to, and always did while testing)

Do you think there is a file in Documents after the first failed launches that interfered afterwards? crashdump or log?

Sunny greetings
Hi,

Yes there is something in your old files that do cause this issue for sure.

Please install the ISO game on a completely different directory. (not where GoG or anything else was).
Do not restart your system or turn the game on before applying the HR Mod.
Then start the mod via your Desktop Shortcut with admin rights and it will create a fitting config for your system automaticly. (inbuild repair function we added to that mod).

Then with a complete new savegame it should not happen again.

Also this forum has perfect mobile support, so i can simply and fast respnd via android smartphone if my work allows to check it ;-) .

Image Image
- - -
fraphi

Post by fraphi »

:)

Will post as soon as tested (maybe during the week), latest next monday.

Funny: and windows trained me so much on restarts... but luckily HR Mod isn't Microsoft!

Return to “SpellForce - Technical Support”