Moderator: Forum_Manager

NeoX
Administrator

Re: SpellForce Platinum: Error - illegal char AND/OR ACCESS_VIOLATION

Post by NeoX »

Hi,
fraphi wrote: Sat 18. Mar 2023, 15:46 Hi NeoX

Got an imediate answer from the game:
1) it just crashes right away after loading your savegame when I press the inventory button. When I don't do that, it seems to run fine (could move the troops back to my camp). Did you maybe pick up that item we are suspecting of being responsible?
I cleared the camp and picked up the key to the gate. Nothing else.
fraphi wrote: Sat 18. Mar 2023, 15:46 1a) I'm curious too if your game uses the savefiles like you uploaded it: meaning with _ instead of ~ after the character name?
Its out of my savegame folder exactly how you downloaded it here.
I uploaded an other savegame earyl one (see above) can you test that too please?
fraphi wrote: Sat 18. Mar 2023, 15:46 2) I could try with my old savegame to figure out what goblin it was, but I just remembered that one time it even was crashing with the first ghost in liannon. Maybe I have a better idea:

Does the game choose item drops when loading a creature (map start or spawn) or are they randomly picked by the game whenever a creature dies?

If the fist case was true, I could supply you with a save just directly before I engage that creature and you would know the item.
it should be pure RNG, but its something we should have an eye on.
fraphi wrote: Sat 18. Mar 2023, 15:46 3) System report with SMB attached as requested.
Thx will check it asap.
fraphi wrote: Sat 18. Mar 2023, 15:46 In a strange way this whole thing is still entertaining. Maybe it's the hidden detective in us? :)

Grüsse
fraphi
I hope we can find the source of the issue to assure this can be solved for future users.

Greetings: NeoX
SpellForce 2 - Master of War | SpellForce - Wiki & Info Hub
Image Image
"SpellForce 2 - Master of War" is the legendary Card-Game of the SpellForce 2 Collectors Edition of 2006, now finally for PC and Android! Play against the NPC, another Player or Online. Over 100 different Cards out of 7 factions and more than 10 powerfull spells to support them. Many hours of tactical turn based gameplay await you.
http://www.sf2-mow.keepfree.de/
- - -
"SpellForce - Fan Hub & Wiki" (for Android devices) is the official SpellForce fan hub app with wiki and forum integration made by the Fan Community. Get updated with the latest SpellForce news all around the game and its community. Look up knowlege in the wiki about lore and game guides. Exchange yourself with others on the fan forum. Made by the Community for the Community.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.it_huskys.spellforce_hub_wiki
fraphi

Post by fraphi »

Yes, must be RNG.

Played with your "Story"-savegame: Nearly cleared the camp too this time, then came a "Messerstecher" - crash! I could see that he must have been the 3rd scout, as there still was the yellow map-ring that announces a scout having seen you when the game froze.

Well, I will check again tomorrow - and just to let you know again, I'm not really in a hurry :)
NeoX
Administrator

Post by NeoX »

Hi,
fraphi wrote: Sat 18. Mar 2023, 20:03 Yes, must be RNG.

Played with your "Story"-savegame: Nearly cleared the camp too this time, then came a "Messerstecher" - crash! I could see that he must have been the 3rd scout, as there still was the yellow map-ring that announces a scout having seen you when the game froze.

Well, I will check again tomorrow - and just to let you know again, I'm not really in a hurry :)
Alright i found something, but this is more a theory based on reports of other games with the same hardware as you reported to me.

Are you 100% sure you configured your nvidia graphics panel to use your GT 730M dedicated GPU (high performence) when running SpellForce and not nour Intel HD chip? The Crass-Engine of spellforce is not designed to work with virtual VRAM (shared memory). There is the theory of stack-overflow in the room (more used VRAM then available) that can also cause this issue.

Could you try connecting an external stand alone monitor to your notebook and use only that screen as the mains screen and try it then? that makes 100% sure the dedicated nvidia GPU is only used.

Your Eventlog looks very clean.

Image Image
"SpellForce 2 - Master of War" is the legendary Card-Game of the SpellForce 2 Collectors Edition of 2006, now finally for PC and Android! Play against the NPC, another Player or Online. Over 100 different Cards out of 7 factions and more than 10 powerfull spells to support them. Many hours of tactical turn based gameplay await you.
- - -
"SpellForce - Fan Hub & Wiki" (for Android devices) is the official SpellForce fan hub app with wiki and forum integration made by the Fan Community. Get updated with the latest SpellForce news all around the game and its community. Look up knowlege in the wiki about lore and game guides. Exchange yourself with others on the fan forum. Made by the Community for the Community.
fraphi

Post by fraphi »

Hey! Thanks for checking.

Kind of expected: but no, doesn't change a thing with external screen. And yes, I set system control to use only the gt 730m for Spellforce. Updated lenovo drivers for GPU as well (as NVIDIA control didn't show up on right click anymore - now it does again). Still the same error.
(And the other PC I was trying to run Spellforce with, does only have a dedicated GPU - so...)

It's definitly one wierd as hell thing.
NeoX
Administrator

Post by NeoX »

Hi,
fraphi wrote: Sun 19. Mar 2023, 11:16 Hey! Thanks for checking.

Kind of expected: but no, doesn't change a thing with external screen. And yes, I set system control to use only the gt 730m for Spellforce. Updated lenovo drivers for GPU as well (as NVIDIA control didn't show up on right click anymore - now it does again). Still the same error.
(And the other PC I was trying to run Spellforce with, does only have a dedicated GPU - so...)

It's definitly one wierd as hell thing.
Whats the hardware of the other system? Could you also give me a SMB System-Report of that one?

Image Image
- - -
fraphi

Post by fraphi »

Okay, something changed or I missed something.

When launching the game while Windows is still loading up stuff (after login) I get this message:
"Error! - No game window found"
Then the game loads normal but stays in (a missaligned) windowed mode.
I still get the error in game when pressing that Inventory-button but after I press "ignore" twice the game recovers.

I did some backtracking with GPUsettings because:

1) I accually didn't set the NVIDIA control panel setting to use gt730m only (or lost it when reinstalling drivers). Corrected that and still got the error.
2) The setting I mentioned earlier was in Windows systems settings: in "Display", "Grafikeinstellungen" I added "Hohe Leistung" for Spellforce.
3) With both deactivated it results in the same error. And if the game isn't in fullscreen I can press "ignore" twice and the game recovers as well.

Systems report of the desktop attached. Didn't find any reference to Spellforce Platinum though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NeoX
Administrator

Post by NeoX »

hi,
fraphi wrote: Sun 19. Mar 2023, 14:31 Okay, something changed or I missed something.

When launching the game while Windows is still loading up stuff (after login) I get this message:
"Error! - No game window found"
Then the game loads normal but stays in (a missaligned) windowed mode.
I still get the error in game when pressing that Inventory-button but after I press "ignore" twice the game recovers.

I did some backtracking with GPUsettings because:

1) I accually didn't set the NVIDIA control panel setting to use gt730m only (or lost it when reinstalling drivers). Corrected that and still got the error.
2) The setting I mentioned earlier was in Windows systems settings: in "Display", "Grafikeinstellungen" I added "Hohe Leistung" for Spellforce.
3) With both deactivated it results in the same error. And if the game isn't in fullscreen I can press "ignore" twice and the game recovers as well.

Systems report of the desktop attached. Didn't find any reference to Spellforce Platinum though.
"Error! - No game window found" happens if the game takes too long to start up and the HR-Mod fails to inject itself completely. Just restarting the game normaly fixes it, but its something i aim to patch with the next update of the mod.

Back to the main topic: I found something in common!
1. Your Desktop system has a lot of Crashes for Fallout 3, but thats a bethesda game, so yeah i think thats normal for it :-P
2. I could sort of recreate it with your nvidia driver version and even found similar reports online!

Please try the following:

1. Just stop the windows service "NVIDIA Display Container LS".
2. Try to intall the driver version 457.51 for your nvidia GPU. I found that this is the last version where no issues had been reported for this game.

I would laugh so hard if all these issues are caused by the nviodia drivers.

Image Image
- - -
fraphi

Post by fraphi »

Bethesda... yes, it's not surprising at all.

I think, I've seen the info about the driver (think it was on moddb.com). Even think, I tried that on my desktop.

Will give it a try on the desktop. But there i didn't install your mod (yet...). So, I will do those two suggestions first without your mod. After this, I will have to take a break with troubleshooting. Will continue next weekend for sure.

I will write my findings asap.
NeoX
Administrator

Post by NeoX »

hi,
fraphi wrote: Sun 19. Mar 2023, 15:34 Bethesda... yes, it's not surprising at all.

I think, I've seen the info about the driver (think it was on moddb.com). Even think, I tried that on my desktop.

Will give it a try on the desktop. But there i didn't install your mod (yet...). So, I will do those two suggestions first without your mod. After this, I will have to take a break with troubleshooting. Will continue next weekend for sure.

I will write my findings asap.
np, let me know when you have new results.

Image Image
- - -
fraphi

Post by fraphi »

Hi NeoX

Ah, I would love to laugh hard if it was Nvidia!

Yes, I encountered the "Error! - No game window found" before and did exactly as you wrote: exit in main menu and restarted the application - error gone :) - and didn't worry me at all.

Now: no luck on my desktop (it's still running SpellForce with the last GOG-Support changes including the widescreen fixed exe). Used my old save.
Nvidia driver 457.51 (international) and stopping Nvidia Display Container LS didn't do anything.

For the laptop I didn't find any newer drivers than Version 25.21.14.2591 (from 2019) (info: dxdiag) -> think that's Version 425.31
-> stopping Nvidia Display Container LS didn't do anything as well.

Should we maybe continue to try something like: german iso + HRmod + windowed mode + just press that "ignore" button and continue playing like that?

I could check, if it is accually possible to continue playing.

It would be the first playable state of the game and if I could find a solution where the resolution would more or less fit the screen (now it cuts off pieces at the bottom and to the right), I think I could live with that.

Greetings
fraphi

Return to “SpellForce - Technical Support”