Technical support around SpellForce

Moderator: Forum_Manager

dehaebi

Re: SpellForce Platinum: Error - illegal char AND/OR ACCESS_VIOLATION

Post by dehaebi »

Hi, thanks for response

System-report done.

About the game:
SpellForce, Platinum Edition, Version 1.52.

Years ago I got this error. I got the error with playing with dvd, I got the error with playing the version from gog. And this works so on my third computer. hmmm...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NeoX
Administrator

Post by NeoX »

hi,
dehaebi wrote: Thu 2. Nov 2023, 20:18 Hi, thanks for response

System-report done.

About the game:
SpellForce, Platinum Edition, Version 1.52.

Years ago I got this error. I got the error with playing with dvd, I got the error with playing the version from gog. And this works so on my third computer. hmmm...
i have a strange little question:
Could you please download and install the demo from here:
https://www.spellforce.info/tab_downloa ... hp?lang=EN
(SpellForce_DemoSetup_Deutsch) and tell me if you still have the issue? We managed to close it down to windows security settings in combination with Antivirus and Clouddrive. If you have the same issue with it, maybe its settings related and not gamefile related.

Greetings: NeoX
SpellForce 2 - Master of War | SpellForce - Wiki & Info Hub
Image Image
"SpellForce 2 - Master of War" is the legendary Card-Game of the SpellForce 2 Collectors Edition of 2006, now finally for PC and Android! Play against the NPC, another Player or Online. Over 100 different Cards out of 7 factions and more than 10 powerfull spells to support them. Many hours of tactical turn based gameplay await you.
http://www.sf2-mow.keepfree.de/
- - -
"SpellForce - Fan Hub & Wiki" (for Android devices) is the official SpellForce fan hub app with wiki and forum integration made by the Fan Community. Get updated with the latest SpellForce news all around the game and its community. Look up knowlege in the wiki about lore and game guides. Exchange yourself with others on the fan forum. Made by the Community for the Community.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.it_huskys.spellforce_hub_wiki
dehaebi

Post by dehaebi »

Hi

Can not launch the demo; antivirus... I will try with over-copy or something else...

Something about the error I wonder is aubout the message:

G:\Spellforce\release\candidate\code\Utl\UtlText.cpp(80) : error:
Assertment failed!
Message: CUtlFont::GetCharacterWidth: illegal char (Char: 8217)

I have no drive G:\, perhaps I did on my computer when I installed the game first, long time ago...
Perhaps the game search data's in a drive that not exist?
can I change this G:\ to C:\ and create this path manually and put there some cpp?

Thanks for support
NeoX
Administrator

Post by NeoX »

hi,
dehaebi wrote: Fri 3. Nov 2023, 11:36 Hi

Can not launch the demo; antivirus... I will try with over-copy or something else...

Something about the error I wonder is aubout the message:

G:\Spellforce\release\candidate\code\Utl\UtlText.cpp(80) : error:
Assertment failed!
Message: CUtlFont::GetCharacterWidth: illegal char (Char: 8217)

I have no drive G:\, perhaps I did on my computer when I installed the game first, long time ago...
Perhaps the game search data's in a drive that not exist?
can I change this G:\ to C:\ and create this path manually and put there some cpp?

Thanks for support
This error message is not connected to your system. Its the compiled path when the devs did work on it. All it shows is the failure of accessing/writing files.

Also your Antivirus seems quite aggressive and false reporting if the old official Demo is blocked by it. Could be a clear identification to your current issue.

Image Image
"SpellForce 2 - Master of War" is the legendary Card-Game of the SpellForce 2 Collectors Edition of 2006, now finally for PC and Android! Play against the NPC, another Player or Online. Over 100 different Cards out of 7 factions and more than 10 powerfull spells to support them. Many hours of tactical turn based gameplay await you.
- - -
"SpellForce - Fan Hub & Wiki" (for Android devices) is the official SpellForce fan hub app with wiki and forum integration made by the Fan Community. Get updated with the latest SpellForce news all around the game and its community. Look up knowlege in the wiki about lore and game guides. Exchange yourself with others on the fan forum. Made by the Community for the Community.
dehaebi

Post by dehaebi »

hi there

I activated an old computer, kick off defender, kick off antivirus, installed game new from gog and the demo...

So, the normal game from gog: same error

Demo: i am testing it, waiting for the units that makes the error...

Good day
NeoX
Administrator

Post by NeoX »

hi,
dehaebi wrote: Wed 8. Nov 2023, 21:46 hi there

I activated an old computer, kick off defender, kick off antivirus, installed game new from gog and the demo...

So, the normal game from gog: same error

Demo: i am testing it, waiting for the units that makes the error...

Good day
if it runs fine on the demo, then the chances are high your GoG version is bugged. Maybe its possible to fix it with the original retail disc version of the game.

Image Image
- - -
dehaebi

Post by dehaebi »

Hi

Demo tested on offline-pc with defender turned off, same error.

By the way, SpellForce 2 is running fine on that pc.

I dont know if this game sf1 is going to work again.

Good day
NeoX
Administrator

Post by NeoX »

hi,
dehaebi wrote: Sat 11. Nov 2023, 12:50 Hi

Demo tested on offline-pc with defender turned off, same error.

By the way, SpellForce 2 is running fine on that pc.

I dont know if this game sf1 is going to work again.

Good day
alright then the only thing we could test again, would be a reinstallation of directx 9.0c, .net framework 1.1 and 2.0.
These are the only things that maybe could cause it according to some of your event-log entrys.

Otherwise a way to play around this would be to install an additional language pack and see if this also happens if a different system language applied to it.

Btw could you also send me a SMB-Report of the 2nd system (like the last one)? Maybe i can find something in common that may cause it.

I truly want to find the root of this issue.

Image Image
- - -
dehaebi

Post by dehaebi »

Hi

Directx9.0 could not be installed on this windows-version. perhaps here is the point?

Another point: the error starts too, when I click "sell" by a trader; selling some mage-scrolls or stones.

SMB here. Old PC is a test-machine, looks like unusual with drives and lots of apps...

Thanks for support

Greetings
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NeoX
Administrator

Post by NeoX »

hi,
dehaebi wrote: Sat 11. Nov 2023, 18:03 Hi

Directx9.0 could not be installed on this windows-version. perhaps here is the point?

Another point: the error starts too, when I click "sell" by a trader; selling some mage-scrolls or stones.

SMB here. Old PC is a test-machine, looks like unusual with drives and lots of apps...

Thanks for support

Greetings
yeah it seems it maybe caused by missing runtimes and missing DLL files. Can we somehow force the directx 9 and .net 1.1 installation?

Image Image
- - -

Return to “SpellForce - Technical Support”